How Do I Choose A Contractor?
How do I choose a contractor to perform a bathroom, kitchen, or full interior remodel in Mission Viejo, Lake Forest, Irvine, Laguna Niguel, and throughout South Orange County California? Ask!
To help my clients make good decisions and choices when hiring a contractor, I developed a handy checklist (see below).
Here are the five most important criteria for answering the question “How do I choose a contractor?”
- Most important! Hire the person, not the estimate. When you find the right person, price will take care of itself.
- After meeting with the Contractor personally, not a salesperson, ask yourself:
- Is the Contractor sincere, honest, trustworthy, and genuinely helpful?
- Will the Contractor do the best job and provide excellent customer service, support and value?
- Am I confident the Contractor will have my family’s safety and security in mind – not their bank account?
- Do I believe the Contractor will do an excellent job that will last and be beautiful?
- Did the Contractor clearly explain how the estimating process works?
- There is no greater way to torpedo your project than to choose a contractor based on a free estimate.
- Anyone who says permits are not required for a bathroom, kitchen, or full interior remodel is lying to you and you’re going to get yourself into trouble.
Before you hire a contractor, can they answer “yes” to all of these questions?
|1.||Licensed by the Contractors State License Board (CSLB)?||Yes!||It’s the law!|
|2.||Workers Compensation Insurance (if required)?||Yes!||It’s the law!|
|3.||General Liability Insurance of $2 million?||Yes!||Protection for you!|
|4.||Bonded to $15,000?||Yes!||It’s the law!|
|5.||Is the down payment 10% or $1,000 whichever is less?||Yes!||It’s the law!|
|6.||Are there at least 5 progress payments clearly spelled out in the contract? Including a 10% withhold until the Building Department issues the completion certificate?||Yes!||Never let the payments get ahead of the job!|
|7.||Will Contractor work every possible workday to ensure the job is completed on time?||Yes!||DAD’s values your time!|
|8.||Provide design service with professionally developed 3D color drawings?||Yes!||Brings your project to life!|
|9.||Provide a written detailed contract?||Yes!||It’s the law!|
|10.||Will contract illustrate expenses and specifications by line item category – not just a few numbers?||Yes!||Very important!|
|11.||Will Contractor use environmentally safe products and practices?||Yes!||USGBC member!|
|12.||Will Contractor provide all required building permits, arrange and be present for all Building Department inspections?||Yes!||It’s the law!|
|13.||Will all materials, labor, and work be supplied and performed by Contractor through job completion? In other words, turn-key?||Yes!||DAD’s takes care of everything!|
|14.||Will drywall and insulation be removed and replaced for your health and safety?||Yes!||DAD’s cares!|
|15.||Will plumbing fixtures be replaced using Kohler products for durability and beauty?||Yes!||Lasting peace of mind!|
|16.||Will tub and shower tile be installed using Portland cement vs. pre-made backer boards or Polyethylene sheets?||Yes!||Strong and durable!|
|17.||Will tiles be very high quality for strength, durability and safety from Daltile?||Yes!||Certified by PTCA (1 of only 24 manufactures)!|
|18.||Will shower pans have best quality hot mop water proofing and be thoroughly tested and inspected?||Yes!||Guaranteed not to leak!|
|19.||Will paint be ultra-premium Everest and Suprema by Dunn Edwards?||Yes!||Superior performance and color!|
|20.||Will trash and debris be removed daily and the work area left clean and well organized?||Yes!||Trash is never left in piles around your home!|
For more helpful information, please see Best Local Contractor for selecting the best local contractor for bathrooms, kitchens, and full interiors!