LED Lights

Posted by

LED Lights

Bathroom Remodel | DAD's ConstructionBeginning January 1, 2014, production of all incandescent light bulbs will cease. When the existing supply is gone, this will be the end of America’s lighting staple for more than 100 years. In its place will be the LED Lights.

The Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 required that the common incandescent light bulb be phased out by January 1, 2014. You might have noticed that the 100-watt incandescent bulb was phased out in 2011 and the 75-watt incandescent bulb was phased out during 2013.

Why the change? It’s a matter of efficiency. The typical incandescent bulb consumed an enormous amount of energy. However, only 10% of this energy produced light. The other 90% produced heat. Although this was great for Easy Bake Ovens, it was bad for the electric bill and America’s energy dependency.

So, welcome the Light Emitting Diode or LED.  LED light is dramatically more efficient:

  1. LED LightsTypically last more than 25,000 hours vs. 1,000 hours for an incandescent bulb and 10,000 hours for a Compact Florescent Light bulb (CFL).

  2. Even after 25,000 hours of use, the higher quality LED will still emit more than 75% of its original light.

  3. Over the life of an LED vs. a 100-watt incandescent bulb, the savings will be in the thousands of dollars (yes, I said thousands of dollars – per light)! Typically, the LED will save about $1,100 per year when used 8 hours per day.

Here are some things to remember about LEDs:

  1. LED life is measured in years, not hours like the incandescent bulb. You’ll need to start thinking in terms of years of use, not hours of use.

  2. LED light is different, measured in Lumens or Kelvin (K) temperatures:

    1. 2,700 K emits a slight yellow light.

    2. 3,000 K emits a crisp, white light that gives the appearance of being brighter than 2,700 K.

    3. 5,000 K emits a bluish type of lighting, often referred to as “daylight”.

LED Lights

Are Compact Florescent Light bulbs (CFL’s) still available? Yes. LED lights, however; are much better because they last significantly longer, cost a lot less money to operate, save more money, don’t require special disposal (florescent lights contain mercury – a hazardous material harmful to our environment and health), and are more pleasing to the eye (those “loops” you can see in CFL’s are ugly!). LEDs are also “instant on”, require no warm up, don’t flicker, and they don’t hum or buzz, especially when it’s cold. As a bonus, since LED’s last significantly longer, there is a huge reduction in the number of light bulbs and their packaging going into our landfills.

LED Lights DAD's Construction

If you have 6” recess ceiling lights, many can be easily converted to LED lights without replacing the recess light housing itself, thereby eliminating any drywall and painting work. The best conversions use a true LED upgrade. In other words, there is no light bulb whatsoever. For those who have experienced changing a recess light bulb 10’-20’ up on a ceiling, you know how much fun that was! The true LED recess light upgrade will still emit 70-75% of its original light after 23 years of use (8 hours per day, 365 days per year – but who does this? I think they will last about 30-40 years for the typical household).

If you would like more information on enjoying the best bathroom, kitchen, and interior remodeling experience, call DAD at (949) 380-0177 or at dan@dadsconstruction.com for a free in home consultation (DAD’s serves all of South Orange County California including Lake Forest, Mission Viejo, Foothill Ranch, Portola Hills, Ladera Ranch, Irvine, San Clemente, Dana Point, San Juan Capistrano, Rancho Santa Margarita, Laguna Niguel, Laguna Hills, Newport Beach, and Aliso Viejo).

Bathroom Remodel DAD's Construction

“Taking Care of Your Home . . . The Way We Would Our Own”

Daniel A. Derkum is the owner of DAD’s Construction, a leading South Orange County, California design-and-build remodeling and renovation contractor, https://www.dadsconstruction.com.  © DAD’s Home Services & Construction, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.