How to Wear an N95 Mask
To ensure that the N95 mask is providing the intended levels of protection, each user should receive proper training. This includes practice time on the Application, Seal Check, and Removal/Disposal Procedure. The N95 Particulate Respirator is carefully designed and meticulous manufactured. Read below on how to wear an N95 mask.
Instructions for N95 Mask Wearing:
1) Cup the respirator in your hand with the nosepiece right-side up. The headbands should be hanging freely.
2) Position the respirator under your chin and the nosepiece on the bridge of your nose.
3) While holding the respirator in position, pull the TOP headband over your head and rest it at the crown of the back of your head.
4) As you continue to hold the respirator in position, pull the BOTTOM headband over your head and rest around your upper neck, below your ears.
5) Position the respirator under your chin and the nosepiece on the bridge of your nose.
6) Using both hands, mold the malleable nosepiece to fit snugly against the nose bridge and face below the eyes.
7) Using a mirror, further check and adjust edges to provide a good seal on the face.
Seal Check the N95 Mask:
To perform a Seal Check, first ensure the respirator has been properly donned (see Instructions for Application). The wearer should then forcefully inhale and exhale several times. A successful Seal Check should result in the respirator collapsing slightly upon inhaling and expand upon exhaling. The user should not feel any air leaking between his/her face and the respirator.
In the event of a poor fit, the wearer should adjust the respirator until a successful Seal Check is completed.
Removal/Disposal of N95 Masks:
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has a very nice poster on wearing and removing the N95 Mask. This poster can be downloaded for easy posting. The poster is available at CDC – How to Wear and Remove the N95 Mask.
I hope this helps to answer the question “how to wear an N95 mask?”